Saturday, August 29, 2009

To decorate or ..not ... that is the question?

My model home design life used to be so easy. In the construction of a model home world, the kitchen is painted before the kitchen cupboards went in and were full to exploding. The floors went down before the six piece sectional was all latched and lined up, and since you have no occupants, I did no worry about what cord plugs into what and hello, how to coordinate the rewiring of the surround sound now and t.v.!

Well that is my mission for today, to pretty on a penny,decorate on a dime, so that my house will turn me on more so. As I said, if your house looks like crap, you'll feel like crap!! Yes, that's the truth. Got to call a spade a shovel. If you want a mood lift, don't run to the doctor, change your space -- better than a counselling session. When you walk into your bedroom, really spend a few bucks. That is the first area you see when you open those peepers. Does it say, "get out quick," or "I'm Joan Collins ready to receive my gentlemen callers!"

Another thing we know in the design world, is not just LESS IS MORE, but DESIGN UNFOLDS. What that means to us is, you know that paint colour that you just stood in line at Home Depot for 20 mins., well on the way home, you stopped off at Home Outfitters and saw a print for the room that made your toes curl, and you need a new gallon of paint. Also, that couch that we thought would look so terrific in front of the window, well it doesn't because when the sunlight hits that fabric it will become a whiter shade of pale.

Its like having a child. You envision all these great ideas how the kid is going to be a Vet, or something that you can brag to your friends about -- but when the framer says it will cost you $3000 to put in columns if you take down the support wall to open up the kitchen with the diningroom, you have to have Plan B; shoot smaller, and be enthusiastic. What's Plan B. The kid is a Vet Assistant and that wall removal, its a cutout and dammit smile.

And so the life of a Space Therapist is like a roller coaster ride with the home owner screaming in a high pitch "yes, I want that" and the framers, etc. dropping you down with "no, its impossible" unless you spend another $1000 over their budget. And you have to figure out how to produce the WOW and not get hit from flying debris in the process of negotiating.

At least in doing my own space therapy, who cares if I have to buy another gallon of paint. I can take another 20 minutes of some young thing, who probably just fought with her mother or boyfriend, giving me crappy attitude -- its worth it for a can of great paint. The joy of space therapy!!!

1 comment:

  1. I agree- my space is very important to me- you know how i am- I cant relax untill the place is perfect- how sad for me! There is nothing like a freshly painted wall- we have been her 5 years and many rooms are on their 3rd colour- mostly because of homesense- what did we do before that store- new one opening on wonderland on sept 3rd- maybe we can go!!
    Keep up the blog - its interesting there in that brain of yours!!

    ReplyDelete