Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Happy 999 Day! Live, Laugh, Love!!


Started this day delivering my 2009 Mazda to the body shop to have the scratch on the car door repaired -- 2009 on 999. Anyhow as I was driving home, I saw a first -- a parade of Mazda Miata convertibles zoom zooming happily along the 401 going somewhere. My heart started racing. There is something exhilarating to me to see people in motor homes, or driving some wheels -- loaded up -- going somewhere. I love the joy of an adventure even if I'm just going to Parks Blueberries in Chatham -- its still an adventure!

You could tell it was the retirement boys out in their Miata toys with who looked their mothers, but really were their wives. What caught my attention as I passed each car was the couples' faces. The men looked ecstatic -- the women looked like they were awaiting their yearly PAP test. Ladies, that's why men have a young woman on their Bucket List -- along with a threesome. But that last one is a bomb -- they just don't know it.

What else made me laugh were their hats. Did you ever see those long brimmed sun hats oriental women wear sight seeing -- all that was missing were fur coats and ear muffs to cut out the road noise. The windows were up on each side to keep the little Mrs. warm (probably had the heat on as well ) and as I said, no woman I saw was cracking a smile. The whole experience clearly looked torturous.

Lately I've been thinking about " the golden years" -- its a trick -- there are none. The only golden thing about the golden years is your urine and if you drink a lot of water the golden will be gone. I wonder how much Ibuprofen those folks had to take to pretzel themselves into those cars and then hoist themselves back out?

Last night I went to say Bonn Voyage to another Goldie, but this time a woman, who was loading up her motor home. Last thing she said to me was, "see you next Spring." She even wanted to sleep in her motor home so she could get a jump start on the adventure. She has to be in California in two weeks, then to fly to Hawaii for two weeks. After that she will drive from California to Florida for Xmas.

There is a lot to say for hitting the road, or the spouse if they won't stop the nagging and whining and get joyous. Life really is like a roll of toilet paper -- it goes faster as you get closer to the end.

Remember at 18 the joy you felt when you would sneak out to meet the boyfriend somewhere, and jump in his car to ditch the folks for a day of adventure. It was fantastic to play hooky -- well look in the mirror -- are you those old farts now? LORD HAVE MERCY I hope not because you are missing the Joy of Adventure!!! Let 999 be the day all that is not working in your life be changed because its all in your hands -- just put the key in the ignition and zoom, zoom, zoom.


No comments:

Post a Comment